Thursday, April 8, 2010

Day 2 - 6

Day 2: Friday, 2nd April 2010

The second day continues on background tracing and colouring. Akil Story has a spesific set of colour scheme, therefore I have to practice on how they use the colour, how to shade and how to match the colours based on the samples that I see in their collection.

Then, someone new came into the office. Ms. Khatijah was with him, and she introduced him to me as my supervisor. His name is Rahmat, and is called Abang Amat.

Not too long after that, I learned a new technique in animation. Basically we have to convert an image into a symbol, and get into that symbol to draw movements for that particular symbol in the keyframes. I have never done this technique before. Fazli, another animator, patiently taught me how to do it. The benefit of using this technique is that:
  • We don't have to draw the movement of the character frame by frame, which is tiring and time-consuming.
  • We can reuse the previous movement that we have drawn

I also learnt on how to do lip-sync, which is to match the characters' mouth to the recorded voice. I took a sample of a recorded voice and slowly animate my character's mouth accordingly. I had fun doing this, especially when I saw that the mouth and the voice synchronizes well together.




Day 3: Monday, 5th April 2010

 I'm gonna write in point forms lah. Easier and simpler.

1) Continued practicing on the animation technique that I have learned the day before.

2) I have been given my first job, finally. That is, to produce a... sort of like a montage for the animation to show some excerpt from a Surah that will be recited by Akil, the main character of Akil Story.

3) I also learned that no matter what we do, we HAVE to SAVE our work from minute to minute because we never know when the computer will hang, or when the software will crash. It could happen in all of a sudden, and the next thing you know, you have to start again from scratch. *screams in annoyance*





Day 4: Tuesday, 6th April 2010

Today I learned a new software that I have been avoiding all this while. What software? It's the software that makes my eyes go @.@ everytime I open it. We don't have a subject to specifically learn that software in Uniten, so if you would like to learn on how to use it, you have to pick the alternative way which is to learn it by yourself. And that is what I have been trying to do since last year but to no avail. My eyes will go @.@ anddd I'll close the program and do something else.

By the way the software is Adobe After Effect. He he. I have made some of the work in Flash, but they say it is better if I use After Effect, as the effect would be much better and prettier. But the problem is I know nothing about Adobe After Effect. Seriously nothing. Zero. So when they told me to use Adobe AE, I was like... oh. God. I'm. Dead.

So I watched a few tutorial videos and tried to just click and click and click on everything in AE. Fazli taught me some of the techniques that can be used in it, and I learned more and more each time.




Day 5: Wednesday, 7th April 2010

On day 5 I continued on learning to use Adobe AE. The software really has given me a hard time and hard headache.

However, I have to admit that it really really is super cool software. I was captivated and mesmerized by the beauty of the effects that we could produce by using AE. Fazli showed me some sample and showed me how he does it, and I became more and more interested. I can't wait for the weekend to come, I'm gonna spend some time to learn more on how to use Adobe AE.

Then I continued making the montage, slowly.




Day 6: Thursday, 8th April 2010

Today the montage is done! Yippeee. I'm so happy. My first work in using Adobe AE ever. Ever! I was so excited, eventhough it is not 100% done by me because there are parts of the montage that was edited by Fazli to make it better, but still.

And thanks to Abang Amat, who is willing to share his experiences in this animation world, I now know a bit more about animation companies, about production teams, and some views that I have never known before.

Day 6 is great. :)

No comments: